The State of Texas has filed a lawsuit seeking to stop Aliera Healthcare from selling health insurance in Texas and engaging in the business of insurance without a state license. The lawsuit also seeks civil penalties. After filing the lawsuit June 13 in the 53rd Civil District Court in Travis County (Cause Number D-1-GN-19-003388), TDI dismissed the administrative action pending with the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
How many people bought coverage from Aliera?
TDI estimates that Aliera has about 17,000 customers in Texas and 100,000 nationwide.
What if an Aliera consumer is having problems getting claims paid?
TDI is asking consumers who have information to share or a complaint to email EnforcementInfo@tdi.
What options are available to consumers looking for new coverage?
You may be able to buy health coverage through your employer or directly from an insurance company. Short-term health plans may provide coverage for up to a year.
Health insurance through HealthCare.gov is typically only available during open enrollment from November 1 through December 15 for coverage to begin in January. You can submit a request online to buy coverage now, and the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services will determine if you meet the qualifications for an exemption.
What are the requirements to be a health-sharing ministry in Texas?
Chapter 1681 of the Insurance Code requirements for a health-sharing ministry include:
- The organization must be faith-based and nonprofit. Participants must be of a similar faith.
- The organization matches participants who have medical bills with other participants able to help pay those bills.
- There is no assumption of risk or promise to pay among the participants or the health care sharing ministry.
- The organization must provide a monthly statement that includes administrative fees and costs to participants.
- All applications, guidelines and plan cards must clearly indicate that the participant is part of a health care sharing ministry that is not engaging in the business of insurance.
Confused by health insurance? We have trusted solutions to your healthcare insurance needs, including long term care in the event of catastrophic illness. Call us today at 1-800-257-1723 or click here to schedule an appointment.